Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tik Tok

          3 days. that is all i have left to kiss my american life goodbye along with my friends and family and head off to Ecuador! It seems like just yesterday I was learning about the possibility of even going to Ecuador. To me, through the countless hours of waiting and preparing myself this whole trip seemed like a far away dream. Something I planned to do, but never thought about it actually happening (I know it doesn't make much sense to me either). I always was able to reassure myself that I had plenty of time before i had to start packing and say goodbye. But as I can now count the days left with just one hand, it is becoming more of a reality.
          These past few days have been fairly busy. I'm trying to squeeze in more time with my friends, and to my mom's dissaproval, less time for packing. There are so many people I have to say goodbye to that there isnt enough time in the day for everybody. But I try to look at this not so much as a goodbye but a "see you in ten months!" sort of deal. I've been told countless times that even though it seems like a long time, not a whole lot changes. I also know that as I leave my friends and family here behind I will be greated with new ones in ecuador.
           As far as placement goes, I consider myself lucky already. My year will be spent in Quito, the capital city of Ecuador. From what I have heard it is a city full of life with millions of things to do, which should be interesting because I have always thought of myself as a small town kinda gal. My host family, the Agusto's, appear to be extremely heart warming and excited for me to come. My host father Jose, is the most interesting to me. He is the head of the United Nations in Ecuador. I can tell that I will be able to learn a lot from him and his job. My host mother Maria Antonietta is the one I have had most contact with and seems like a very nice woman. I have 2 host siblings; my brother andres who is in Oslo Norway for the year with Rotary so I will not me able to meet him, and my sister Andrea Carolina who is nineteen years old and lives at home.
          At the end of the day I am left with mixed emotions. Although I am sad to leave all the ones I love I am so excited to FINALLY get out of here and start my adventure! I know this is going to be a life changing experience. Well thats it for now, hopefully I can post about my first few days and my flight. untill then, adios!

         -Rachel


No comments:

Post a Comment